Friday, December 9, 2011

A bit of today

I thought I'd do a bit of holiday shopping, thinking it would be fun to get some previously loved goods for some of those near and dear to my heart. I decided to just pick off one great antique shop today, I had other errands to run as well, so I went straight to the Oregon Antique Mall. This place is one half well curated, organized vendor booths, and one half crazy cold dark warehouse. Both are always an adventure. I found a few fun little vintage Oregon frosted souvenir glasses that'll be a fun gift for a few friends who are out of state.  They're sitting pretty in my kitchen right now, waiting for a little trip.



Penny, the owner of this fine establishment really wanted the glasses just right for a photo. She's a crack up with horrible taste in art.....


Case in point......I was in the creepy crazy cold warehouse half of the shop when I spied these pics faced backwards and my first thought literally was, "I wonder if there will be some sort of crazy clown pic when I turn this around?" And guess what?

Guess.

Guess.

Guess......


AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!


The MOST horrible clown I've ever seen. Even Tom, the eccentric little old man who's always lurking in the back warehouse hates it. Apparently the story is that this dysfunctional mother and daughter brought it into the shop, and the girl was telling everyone that her mom made her keep it in her room. Ew. Penny forgot it was back there, but Tom and I never will. 

I've never seen a clown in there before, but today I just had this sense. Some other rather odd finds in the warehouse include this random photo on foam core that was blocking some stairs. I have no idea who this guy is, or where this was taken but he goes by many names. Fred, Hank, Jim, George, Willy, whatever we decide to introduce him as. Anyways, the day I found it, I took it up to ask a price and they said it wasn't for sale, I asked why and they said because no one would want it. I said I'd give them $10 and Penny just shook her head and let me walk out with it. The lady with the clown painting thought I was crazy.


I also stumbled upon these chrome, cork and linen lamps on another excursion. They were sitting in a corner collecting dust and were priced at $250. I made sure Penny knew I was interested in them that day, but I had a plan. I was betting they wouldn't move because they were pretty much hidden so I made a big deal about them a few times but waited it out for about 5 months and then finally walked in and offered $90 for the pair. At that point it became pretty obvious they weren't going anywhere so I got them without a counter. I love them!


Anyways, back to today. There was this wonderful mid century Rand McNally map for $95 that I would love to put in a little boys room. It has all these fun pictures of industry at the bottom, including trains, planes, constructions machines. Things little boys would love! If I were going for the map I'd offer $75 and see where that got me.


After a successful shopping trip I was hungry and decided to stop by this new Southern food cart downtown. I wanted to try it before I took my very southern mother to get some grits and sweet tea. She's "discerning" when it comes to her southern food.

Delacata was delicious! I wasn't disappointed and I finally got some good sweet tea! Here's a good review.



I had some cajun shrimp and cheesy grits and loved every bite. A nice downtown bike cop joined me at the table and we had a good chat. We had lots of friends in common, and he knew all about University Fellowship because of some work we'd done in partnership with the department. It was a great afternoon.


Then I somewhat stupidly decided to brave the streets to do some more shopping, and spent the next 3 hours looking a little something like this. Oh there's truly no place like home for the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment