Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Postman

I have a postman who comes to my front door everyday to drop my mail in a little slot. He's always kind, and ready to chat  if I happen to be outside when he comes by. Our favorite topics are the weather, football, new home projects I have going on and trips he has planned. He walks around the neighborhood smiling and waving with the same cadence to his step every day. There's something iconic and charming and even comforting about the dependable neighborhood postman.

When he goes on vacation, his sub always comes up to the front door if she can see that I'm home. She usually asks to see what new project I have going on, and we've been chatting chickens recently. She lives in my neighborhood and her kids went to the neighborhood elementary school I attended. When they were in school I worked at the school as a receptionist my senior year of high school.

I stumbled upon this vintage, elementary teaching aid on ebay the other day and had to snap it up in honor of my favorite mail carriers. I went home at lunch today, and it was sitting at my front door, delivered by none other than Mr. Mailman. It's printed on card stock and about 10x12 in size. I'll be on the hunt for a frame and a good location for it to live.


Teaching aids are so fun, the pictures are charming and the descriptions on the back are normally a time warp. I love this one however, because despite email and Fed Ex and my iphone, the way stamped mail is delivered to my tiny ranch hasn't changed much in the last 60 or so years that it's been standing. Though, I don't know if they iron their pants that compulsively any more.


No comments:

Post a Comment